Ph.D. with Distinction, Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations, University of Chicago, 1992
M.A., The Humanities Center, Johns Hopkins University, 1982 (degree conferred 1983)
B.A. The Humanities Center (with concentration in literature, history, and philosophy), Johns Hopkins University, 1982
- Empire of Knowledge: Culture and Plurality in the Global Economy. London: Pluto Press, 2002; Indian edition with new material: Delhi: Sage Publications/Vistaar, 2005; Urdu translation, Mashal Books, Lahore, 2008.
- Of Cricket, Guinness and Gandhi: Essays on Indian History and Culture. Calcutta: Seagull Books, 2003; paperback, Delhi: Viking Penguin, 2005.
- The History of History: Politics and Scholarship in Modern India. Delhi: Oxford UP, 2003; paperback edition with new postscript, Oxford 2005; 2nd reprint, 2007; 5th impression, 2010.
- Introducing Hinduism (illustrated by Borin van Loon). London: Icon Books, 2005; Spanish translation published as Hinduismo Para Todos (Barcelona, 2006); Korean translation published in 2006; Finnish translation published in 2007.
- The Other Indians: Politics and Culture of South Asians in America. Los Angeles: Asian American Studies Center Press, University of California (UCLA), 2007; Delhi: HarperCollins, 2008.
- (Edited) Dissenting Knowledges, Open Futures: The Multiple Selves and Strange Destinations of Ashis Nandy. Delhi: Oxford UP, 2000; 2nd ed. with additional preface, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- South Asian Cultural Studies: A Bibliography. Delhi: Manohar, 1996.
- The Future of Knowledge and Culture: A Dictionary for the Twenty-first Century, co-edited with Ashis Nandy, Delhi: Viking Penguin, 2005; Kannada translation, 2007.
- Fingerprinting Popular Culture: The Mythic and the Iconic in Indian Cinema, co-edited with Ashis Nandy. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2006; Oxford India Paperback, 2007).
- Political Hinduism: The Religious Imagination in Public Spheres. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Deewaar: The Footpath, the City, and the Angry Young Man. Delhi: HarperCollins, 2011.
- The Oxford Anthology of the Modern Indian City: The City in Its Plenitude. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- The Oxford Anthology of the Modern Indian City: Making and Unmaking the City: Culture, Politics, and Life Forms. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- India and the Unthinkable: The Backwaters Collective on Metaphysics and Politics. Co-edited with Roby Rajan. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- A Passionate Life: Writings By and On Kamaladevi Chattopadhyay. Co-edited with Ellen C. DuBois. Delhi: Zubaan Books, [forthcoming August 2016].
- Founding Editor, Dissenting Knowledges Pamphlet Series, Multiversity/Citizens International, Penang, Malaysia (2004-present). 15 pamphlets have been published so far;