Requirements for the Minor
Preparation – (4 to 10 units of Lower Division Courses)
- Either Religion M4 or Religion 11, or
- Religion M50 and either Religion M60A or Religion M60W
Required – (24 to 29 units of Upper Division Courses)
One (1) Required Course:
- Religion 101
Five (5) Electives from any of the following courses:
Theory and Methods list:
- Anthropology 130, 142P
- Study of Religion 110, M118B, 120, 140, 150, 160, M175, 177, 180, M179, 180, M186C
Religious Ideas, Practices and Institutions in Context list:
- Ancient Near East 162
- Anthropology 114P, 162, 168P
- Arabic 120
- Art History C115A, C120, 150A, 152A, 154A, 154B, 156
- Asian 151, 162
- Chinese 165, C175
- Classics 166A, 166B, M167, English 111A, 111B, 111C, 145, 156
- Greek 130
- Hebrew 120, 130
- History 108A, 121B, 174A, M182C, 185B
- Iranian 170
- Japanese 161
- Jewish Studies M150A
- Korean 165, 172
- Philosophy 100B, 104, 107, 155A
- Religion M105A, M105B, M105C, M106A, M107, M108, M115, M118B, M132, M133, M135, 140, M142C, M155, M161A through M161D, M172, M173C, M174D, M174E, M178, M182A, M182B, M184A, M185D, M186A, M186B, M186C, M187SL, M187XP
- World Arts and Cultures C142, C151
Students may petition to have a course count toward the Study of Religion major.
To enter the Study of Religion minor, students must have an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better.
- Students are encouraged to select courses that focus on a specific religious tradition or traditions, or on a set of thematic issues important to the study of religion.
- A course may be taken twice, on different topics, for credit toward the minor where repetition is allowed by the department offering the course. A maximum of 4 units of special studies courses (197, 198, 199) approved by the adviser may be applied toward the minor.
- A minimum of 20 units applied toward the minor requirements must be in addition to units applied toward major requirements or another minor.
- Each minor course must be taken for a letter grade, and students must have an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better. Successful completion of the minor is indicated on the transcript and diploma.