Ph.D. New York University Institute of Fine Arts, 1993
- Beholding the Sacred Mysteries: Programs of the Byzantine Sanctuary, CAA Monograph on the Fine Arts LVI (Seattle and London, 1999).
- A Lost Art Rediscovered: The Architectural Ceramics of Byzantium (ed. with J. Lauffenburger. University Park, PA, 2001)
- Thresholds of the Sacred: Architectural, Art Historical, Archaeological, Liturgical and Theological Views on Religious Screens, East and West, ed. (Washington, DC and Cambridge, MA, 2007)
- Approaching the Holy Mountain: Art and Liturgy at St. Catherine’s Monastery in the Sinai (ed. with Robert S. Nelson) (Brussels, 2010 )
- Viewing the Morea: Land and People in the Late Medieval Peloponnese, ed. (Washington, DC and Cambridge, MA, 2013)
- Rural Lives and Landscapes in Late Byzantium: Art, Archaeology and Ethnography, (Cambridge, July 2015)
- Viewing Greece: Cultural and Political Agency in the Medieval and Early Modern Mediterranean, ed. (Turnhout, 2016)
- “Art and Identity in the Medieval Morea,” in The Crusades from the Perspective of Byzantium and the Muslim World, ed. A. Laiou and R. Mottahedeh (Washington, D.C., 2001), 263-85.
- “A Late Medieval Settlement at Panakton,” Hesperia2 (2003), 147-234 (with M. Munn, H. Grossman, E. Barnes, A. Rohn, and M. Kiel).
- “Civil and Monastic Influences on Church Decoration in Late Byzantine Thessalonike and its Hinterland,” Dumbarton Oaks Papers 57 (2003), 225-39.
- “The Aesthetics of Orthodox Faith,” The Art Bulletin 87 (2005), 335-46.