Ph.D, Indian Art History, UCLA (1981)
- Co-editor, Encyclopedia of India, 4 vols., Thomson Gale, 2006.
- The Dvaravati Wheels of the Law and the Indianization of South East Asia. E. J. Brill, 1996.
- Editor, Ganesh: Studies of an Asian God. SUNY Press, 1991.
- The Roots of Tantra. SUNY Press, 2002.
- Co-editor, Living a Life in Accord with the Dhamma: Papers in Honor of Professor Jean Boisselier on his Eightieth Birthday, Silpakorn University, 1997.
- Co-editor, Studies on the Art of Ancient Cambodia, Reyum, 2008.
- Carrying Buddhism: The Role of Metal Icons in the Spread and Development of Buddhism. Amsterdam: J. Gonda Foundation of the KNAW, 2014.