Ph.D. University of Michigan, 1995
- Editor and author of Preface and Introduction; Shifra M. Goldman, Tradition and Transformation: Chicana/o Art from the 1970s to the 1990, Chicano Studies Research Center/University of Washington Press, February 2015.
- Co-editor and co-author of Introduction with Maite Álvarez, Trade Networks and Materiality: Art in the Age of Global Encounters, 1492-1800, special edition, Journal of Interdisciplinary History, February 2015.
- Editor of Dossier, Teaching Chicana/o and Latina/o Art History in the Twenty-first Century; author, “Introduction: Teaching Chicana/o and Latina/o Art History in the Twenty-first Century: P’adelante, P’atrás;” co-author with Alicia Gaspar de Alba, “Protest and Praxis in the Arts;” Aztlán: A Journal of Chicano Studies, February 2015.
- Co-author with Maite Álvarez, “Diego Rivera’s California Miners Sketchbook (1931): New Research on the Artist in California during the Great Depression,” Getty Research Journal, February 2015.
“Race and the Historiography of Colonial Art,” Representations of ‘Race’ in Iberia and the Ibero-American World, ed. Pamela Patto, Brill, anticipated summer 2015.
- “Paintings of the Education of the Virgin Mary and the Lives of Girls in Early Modern Spain,” The Formation of the Child in Early Modern Spain, ed. Grace Coolidge (Ashgate, 2014), 93-119.
- “Inquisitorial Practices Past and Present: Artistic Censorship, the Virgin Mary, and St. Anne,” in Virginia Raguin, ed., Art, Piety, and Destruction in the Christian West, 1500-1700 (Ashgate, 2010), 173-200.
- “Pacheco, Velázquez, and the Legacy of Leonardo in Spain,” Claire Farago ed., The Historical Reception of Leonardo da Vinci’s Treatise on Painting: Art as Institution, (Ashgate, 2009), 412-431.
- Creating the Cult of St. Joseph: Art and Gender in the Spanish Empire, Princeton University Press, 2006.
- “Love and Marriage in the Spanish Empire: Depictions of Holy Matrimony and Gender
- Discourses in the Seventeenth Century,” The Sixteenth Century Journal: The Journal of Early Modern Studies, XXXII, 2001, 637-667.