Buswell has published fifteen books and some forty articles on various aspects of the Chinese, Korean, and Indian traditions of Buddhism, as well as on Korean religions more broadly, including:
- The Zen Monastic Experience: Buddhist Practice in Contemporary Korea (Princeton, 1992)
- Religions of Korea in Practice (Princeton, 2007)
- Tracing Back the Radiance: Chinul’s Korean Way of Zen (Honolulu, 1991)
- Currents and Countercurrents: Korean Influences on the East Asian Buddhist Traditions (Honolulu, 2005)
- Cultivating Original Enlightenment: Wonhyo’s Exposition of the Vajrasamadhi-Sutra (Honolulu, 2007)
- The Formation of Ch’an Ideology in China and Korea (Princeton, 1989).
- The Korean Approach to Zen: The Collected Works of Chinul (Honolulu, 1983).